Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Almost Plein Air



This is a little painting done from a very bad photo and my better memory. I had just finished a marvelous morning with friends painting at a Tennessee Century Farm. As I was packing to leave, I noticed an old gnarled apple tree that reminded me of one of my all-time favorite works, Childe Hassam's Peach Blossoms - Villiers-le-Bel.

Hassam was an American Impressionist and a great artist. He did Peach Blossoms (a gnarled old peach tree in bloom) early in his career, but I think it's the equal of any of his later canvases. It's very Japanese in feeling, a wonderful mix of strong design, exquisite brushwork and a beautiful palette of color.

Now a bit about our Tennessee Century Farms. They are exactly what the name implies, farms that have been continuously worked by the same family for more than 100 years. This one is also a Tennessee Land Trust property; its owners have protected it from development now and in the future, to truly preserve a very special place.


Old Apple Tree is a 5x7 panel, more about the Century Farm next time.

6 comments:

  1. what luscious colors - gentle yet rich! the orange light with the pinks and blues works so well, too! thank you! (i like childe hassam, too, especially 'rain' & 'the green gown'!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much, Dusty.
    Wish more people knew and appreciated Hassam like we do!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley, A wonderful little painting. Your brushwork and colors are beautiful. I appreciate Hassam also.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to start a Hassam fan club!
    Thank you, Becky, for liking my little painting.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Shirley, Thank you for visiting my blog. Your work is wonderful, soft and impressionistic. Feels very much like pastels with it's softness.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Barbara. I'm very glad I discovered your blog. I'll drop by often!

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...