Sunday, August 29, 2010

Two Part Harmony



Diptychs got their start in ancient times when the literate wrote on hinged, waxed, wood tablets that could be folded to protect the words from nicks and marks. In the Middle Ages, those hinged pieces of wood protected sacred images rather than words. The two wooden panels became three and the triptych became the standard altar format.
Today any painting composed on more than one panel is called a diptych, triptych or polytych respectively. Together the panels should form one coherent composition, but they should also make sense (and be a good painting) if viewed separately.
Two Part Harmony is a stacked diptych born of necessity. I was painting at the beautiful Century Farm of the previous post and had no canvas tall enough for the scene I very much wanted to paint. But I did have two 8"x8" squares. So the rusty water tower and old-fashioned flowers could co-exist, just as they do in life.

11 comments:

  1. I love this pair...the colors, the subject, the abstract/impressionistic style....lovely

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much Christine. I had to paint the water tank just so I could put the rusty orange next to the bright blue sky.

    ReplyDelete
  3. what a great idea - and the paintings are lovely - they harmonize together & within themselves, in the lower one the yellow & lavender as well as the orange & blue in the upper one - very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your comment has made my day. Thank you so much, Dusty.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These are wonderful Shirley. Really a nice pair.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are really wonderful, and as always I love your writing. I learn something every time I "visit". Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you, Tonya. Delighted to hear from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. The way you pushed the back ground and foreground in the water tower just tickles my senses! VERY NICE. And yes, you have been awarded wisdom, youth and beauty. Expiration date: none (as long as you visit and comment now and again.)

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are really nice paintings. The old water tower is gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...