Friday, September 10, 2010

First Day


There's a picture on my studio wall that I love; it's a print of Peter Hurd's painting, Eve of St. John. Hurd was a noted "Western artist" though, sadly, he seems now to be known primarily as Andrew Wyeth's brother-in-law.

Hurd began his career as an illustrator, and I think Eve shows those roots with its strong sense of narrative. To me, the story it tells is one of becoming, like a "coming of age" novel or autobiography. I find it to be mysterious and haunting; it's a work I look at often.

After I finished First Day , I realized I was trying to tell a coming-of-age story, too. First days are always a beginning, when everything promises to be a surprise and nothing is sure. Growing up sometimes seems a series of first days... except for those times growing up when you think you might die of boredom!

First Day is an 18x14 oil done in open studio.

6 comments:

  1. I love your comments re: coming of age stories. I often look back on younger versions of myself, and this is the only thing that I envy about those versions: the greater since of excitement about the unknown. Of course, as I get older, more and more is "known," but there are always going to be surprises in store (sometimes very unpleasant ones, and it seems like the potential for devastating surprises increases with age - boo, negative thoughts!). I love your insight! Of course, I love the painting, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It can be hard to talk about art, especially one's own! So I'm very glad you found my words meaningful. Thank you so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. another luscious piece and I love the story behind it too...it definitely tells a story

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Christine. Have a wonderful time with Carol Marine at the workshop.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So enjoyed reading this post. I love knowing about which artists we look at, like, go to see in museums. It tells me more about you.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Pam. I really appreciate Your thoughtful comment.

    ReplyDelete