Sunday, November 28, 2010

Hello Darkness, My Old Friend

Edouard Manet, as much as any fashion-conscious denizen of Manhattan, loved black. He used it to shape his compositions, create his forms (often quite flat ones) and engender high drama.
His friend and sister-in-law, painter Berthe Morisot, tried to persuade him to paint in the lighter hues of the Impressionists. But though the Impressionists were both his friends and his great admirers, Manet followed his own muse and continued to explore the many uses and advantages of black.
Right now at the Frist in Nashville, Tennessee, we are lucky to have a splendid exhibit from Musee d'Orsay. Along with numerous other masterpieces, the exhibit gives us a cornucopia of Manets in which Edouard shows us the depths and wonders of the non-color black.
My painting, Like a Melody also uses black for composition, contrast and drama. It's a color needed in almost every palette... even the impressionistic.
Like a Melody is an 18x14 oil done in open studio.

14 comments:

  1. I enjoy to see your paintings and this one is beautiful. I try to imagine what about she is thinking...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perdue dans ses pensées , elle est là, nous renvoyant dans les nôtres...
    Tableau rempli de sérénité.
    Bises
    Je vous remercie d'être venue me rendre visite sur mon blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is GORGEOUS, Shirley. I am in love with the way you created depth in her eyes and texture in her hair. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, dear ladies. The beautiful model may have been thinking of her love or wondering how much longer before lunch!
    She is always a delight to paint (and possesses some of the most beautiful hair I've ever seen). In this session, the painting just flowed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, It is easy to see that this painting "flowed" for you. The results are magnificent. Not sure what I enjoy more, your lovely artwork or you equally enjoyable prose.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you Carol. Sometimes the writing seems much harder than the painting!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful painting- very moving. Love it and all the nuances of colors you have captured. Enjoy reading your commentary also!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you, Kathy. Good to hear from another Karin Jurick workshopper!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful painting. It reminds me a bit of Picasso's blue period figures only with happiness and lightness. Musee d'Orsay is my absolute favorite museum ever! You are so lucky to have a show from it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you Christine. I love the D'Orsay, too. I can't believe we have so much of it right here in Nashville.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely painting, Shirley. I enjoyed reading the post too.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you Don. I'm loving your Winslow posts as well as the quotes that accompany them.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your use of black is striking and beautiful, Shirley, and I love her skin tones. She has so much life and warmth in her.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you Susan. Your zebra-riding Santa is a pretty impressive use of black as well!

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...