Monday, November 15, 2010

My Kind of Town...


Even a flood can't keep a city of bluegrass and honky-tonks down. This is a very slightly modified skyline of my hometown, Nashville, Tennessee.
Cityscapes are hard. I love them, but really don't like to do them. The perspective, figuring out just how to do all those little windows, I find very difficult.
But there is a painter who made cityscapes look easy. In the 1700's, Canaletto painted his hometown of Venice over and over. It's said he painted many outside, on the spot rather than in the studio, making him, I suppose, one of the true plein air pioneers.
Canaletto had a fluid brushstroke and a wonderful way of capturing light. Most of his paintings were done for wealthy English tourists. Now they hang in museums, an unusual end for a travel souvenir.
Another master of the cityscape, William Wray, also possesses a fluid stroke and a great way with light. But rather than beautiful Venice, Wray paints the urban blight of Southern California and makes it quite beautiful as well.
My View from Metro General  is an 8x16 oil.

7 comments:

  1. Shirley,
    I really like this cityscape. For not really liking to do them you did an excellent job. I am enjoying your blog- it is an education to read each story- you are talented! Thanks for visiting my blog- Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this turned out really well...I know what you mean about the windows, and I as well like the results when painting cityscapes, but find the process tedious. It is a really effective painting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dear Kathy and Christine,
    Thank you both. The perfect cityscape for me would be very abstracted. Maybe one day, I'll get there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful shapes, color and format.

    ReplyDelete
  5. some wonderful stuff here :) a good variety of subjects. Haven't gone thru the entire blog yet but like what I see thus far.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, WC. I try to include a bit of everything I do.

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...