Thursday, January 27, 2011

Snow Days


Almost Home 14x11 oil by Shirley Fachilla

Multiple snow days have made many of my painter friends as happy as school children (the white stuff has been a rarity here during the past few winters). They brave the roads and the cold to paint woods filled up with snow a la Robert Frost. You can see some of the beautiful results here, here  and here.
Me... well, I'm much less intrepid. Cold fingers, toes, noses and thoughts of cars in ditches make me brew another cup of tea and turn up the music in the studio.
Did Monet paint in the snow? Sometimes at least, he painted the snow outside while tucked inside as I suspect Sisley may have painted some snowy days from his front yard very close to his inside fireplace.
For my snow, I took a page from Monet's extensive playbook and painted the view from my front window at twilight. Titled Almost Home, it reminds me of the relief I have felt to be almost home on more than one cold and icy night.  

13 comments:

  1. I love how the light of the lamp post is reflecting off of the snow. Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You have really captured the twilight...love the colors in this snowy scene!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you Shirley. I love art, but see no reason to suffer for it. I might sneak out to take a few reference photos, but plein air? Noooooooooooooo!

    Love the warm colors in your painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely painting and the link to Monet's work is very interesting. The description of the painting very moving.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, this is so lovely. I follow a number of blogs as I am sure you do and sometimes as I am quickly flipping through them a painting will cause a leap in my heart because it strikes a cord and is just so beautiful. Today this one did that. I don't even want to try and analyze why that is, I just want to enjoy it with no mental notions. Thank you for that moment!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you all.
    Michelle, it was that light that made me want to paint this.
    Carol, twilight is such a magic time. It makes everything mysterious.
    Carol S., we suffer enough angst without adding a lot of physical discomfort, too... though plein air on a good day is super great I think.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nancy, your work on your blog, Postcards from Merion, is beautiful. The interiors are outstanding.

    Christine, thank you so much for your comment. It has made my day a wonderful one. I hope you have a wonderful day back home as well.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So soft and beautiful. Wonderful light, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is a stunning piece, it's my favorite so far from this bizarre winter...great tracks!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you, Karen and Sherrie. We have had the snowiest winter that I can remember.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shirley sounds like you had the same weather we did in Texas. I like this painting and the idea of painting the view from indoors. I took an easier way out and worked on paintings that I had started on warmer days. We are expecting more snow/ice on Wed. so I plan on taking your advice then. I like your blog and am signing up to follow it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you and welcome, Douglas. Tennesseans and Texans have shared a lot of history; I guess this winter we're sharing some weather as well.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very true, my fathers family all come from Elizabethton, Tenn.

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...