Saturday, February 19, 2011

"Cut and Dried"


Cut and Dried 7x5 oil by Shirley Fachilla

As Julie Andrews might have sung, these are a few of my favorite things. But I painted them not because they are beloved, but because of their color. I wanted to paint precisely the silvery green of the eucalyptus leaves, the translucent turquoise of the vase and the metallic shimmer of the scissors.
Of course, I didn’t. Painters almost never do. Instead we approximate the colors we see in our light-filled world with our oils, acrylics, watercolors and pastels. We create an illusion within the confines of our canvas and paper with color and value harmonies that ring true in the painting, but which can not completely capture everyday reality.
In my attempt, I did use a tube of turquoise bought for a Karin Jurick workshop and found it the closest approximation to the blue of my vase. And I used Abbey Ryan’s wisp of eucalyptus for inspiration when painting mine.

10 comments:

  1. Your colors are very nice, especially how the background colors relate to the objects. Did you paint this on a toned canvas?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely LOVE the turquoise vase. I am partial to blues and greens though. You did a beautiful job, like always. This is one of my favorites though.

    By the way, you are right there isn't a crumb remaining of the amazing cupcakes :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley,
    I like the brushwork in the vase along with the color.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Le résultat en fait une toile très harmonieuse... Bisous

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the pink accents on the vase. Really nice!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirley, What a feast of gorgeous colors! I knew exactly what that turquoise color was from Karin Jurick- Love it! You captured the eucalyptus leaves really well and they have that frailty that they really have. That silvery green is really nice. What did you use to get that- love the soft tone:)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you all very much.
    Douglas, I almost always paint on a toned canvas because the bright white is otherwise too distracting for getting good values.

    Michelle, I hope you saved a couple for your guys before the batch went off to class!

    Pat, brushwork in paintings is something I love and look for so thanks a bunch.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Martine, I was just in your beautiful Paris. It is a feast for the eyes and soul.

    Jason, when I'm in doubt, I add pink!

    Kathy, I tried so many things. I believe I ended mixing cerulean blue hue, ultramarine, cad red to grey it, white of course and a touch of cad yellow.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh Shirley, this is beautiful. Ha oh I know that beautiful turquoise color *sigh*. I love your use of color and those heavy brush strokes. The little pinks peeking throughout the piece just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Ivy, I was so happy to find a way to use that beautiful tube of Jurick color.

    ReplyDelete