Friday, February 25, 2011

Johnny, non!/ Jack, oui!


Jack in Cut Glass 12x9 oil by Shirley Fachilla

About a week ago, my husband and I were in wonderful Paris. Every once in a while, we would try to find a Tennessee connection... or more accurately, a Tennessee recognition among the French we met.
Sadly, Johnny Cash isn't a name Parisians find too familiar. Elvis, however, was always a known personage as was my dad's favorite, Jack Daniel's Tennessee whiskey. Our boutique hotel's bar carried the very best Jack, Jack's single barrel. Another sported Gentlemen Jack on its shelves. Black Label was in evidence just about everywhere else spirits were sold. Amazing! There may be more Jack in Paris bars than Nashville ones. Of course, in Lynchburg, Tennessee, home of the Daniel's distillery, there are no bars at all!
My painting isn't a Parisian still life. It was painted in my house with a bottle of Black Label and my great grandmother's cut glass.

14 comments:

  1. Hummm! belle peinture de quoi trinquer... Bisousssssssss

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this. As always, you did a beautiful job. I really like how you paint the light into the glass. Beautiful!

    By the way, I ended up making a second batch of the cupcakes. They were so yummy!

    I would also agree that my kitchen seems bigger now. It is amazing what color can do for a room!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How fortunate to have been in Paris and what a neat way to tie your art into your trip. I like how you painted your grandmother's glasses.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, you've hit a home run! I love your painting today! I chose it as my favorite daily painting on my blog, rosaspicks.wordpress.com. I hope you'll come by and check it out! Thanks, Rosa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks a bunch, Martine and Michelle.
    The neat tie-in just kind of happened, Douglas. It was nice!
    And thank you so much, Rosa. I'm on my way to your place now.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wonderful painting. Enjoyed reading about JD in Paris! You did a wonderful job on the cut glass especially.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks, Kathy. It was amazing to fine my dad's favorite whiskey so well represented!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely painting and fun story! I really like the softness you capture in your style. I enjoyed scrolling through your blog. You have some very clever names for some great paintings. I'm jealous of your upcoming studio! Thanks for visiting and commenting. I'll try to capture the texture in a future photo.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Beautiful soft color in this seemingly simplistic composition...cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Claire, I must admit I like titling paintings.
    Thank you, Dana. Nice to have you visit.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Shirley, this is fantastic! Love everything about it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. OOOH! Cut glass! It amazes me the challenges pick for themselves, it looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you so much Carol and Lisa. I love the art you both create so consistently.

    ReplyDelete