Thursday, February 3, 2011

Work in Progress... Studio Work

Yipee! I'm getting a new studio space!  I've enjoyed online blogging tours of studios and thought you might enjoy one as well. The new studio is around 450 square feet, about quadruple the space I have now.

Part of the studio has a very high ceiling. I can crank up my easel without being concerned about poking a hole in sheet rock.

There's a rather large closet for storage of paintings and supplies...

and a whole wall of adjustable shelves (formerly a bookcase) for ditto.

The studio is on two levels. There's a loft area which opens up the possibility of some clever live model poses.

The flooring is kind of clever, too. Susan Harlan, an artist friend, suggested taking out the old tired carpeting and painting the plywood subfloor. Very cheap, extremely functional and it will be a breeze to put in new carpeting when it isn't a studio anymore. But I do hope it will be a studio for a long time to come.
P.S.It's probably more photogenic now than it will be when I move in all my stuff!

13 comments:

  1. This looks so great! So much room! So inspiring. Is it in your home? Close by?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous! What an amazing space to be creative in! Looks like there is wonderful natural light in there too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Shirley! It looks so clean and finished. I have a converted garage, which I am grateful to have and it is warm, but it still has garage doors. I am sure you will be very inspired by your new space.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Pam, it's in my home and was my daughter's super-duper bedroom. It was part of the bait we used to reconcile her to the move from the old house to the new one.
    Michelle, it does have wonderful north light. I'll probably need to figure out some additional artifical sources for special lighting effects, dark days and night-time painting.
    Christine, I hope to be inspired and to do bigger paintings than I've been able to do before.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congratulations! It looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you, Rosa. It's all my husband's hard work that you see.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I now have a bad case of studio envy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lucky you are to have such a nice big studio with storage to boot. You will have room to spread your wings!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mr. Plein Air Painter Kevin, you have the whole outdoors for your studio.
    Ruth, that is exactly what I hope to do!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a fabulous space! Thanks you for showing it and happy painting there, Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ohhhhh! I have serious studio envy! It is gorgeous and I hope you spend many happy hours there. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm sure that was a lot of work to make that studio space happen on both your parts, no luck involved, which says good things about you valuing what you do. I support that wholeheartedly! It looks beautiful and exciting. Thank you for sharing it with us! I also thank you for your compliment on my latest painting. HugsOOOO

    ReplyDelete
  13. Love your new studio. How wonderful.

    ReplyDelete

Is it too early to send an invitation?

Pieces by (clockwise from left to right) : Susan Harlan, Janet Garner, Shirley Fachilla, Mike Martino and Topper Williams. So many ...