Wednesday, March 23, 2011

"Almost Home" Revisited

The Daily Paintworks Challenge this week is dedicated to helping the people of Japan. DPW has asked that artists submit a work with the theme of "Home." All work is on the auction block with 100% of the proceeds of each auction going to a charity or non-profit presently helping Japan. Many wonderful paintings have been submitted.
I put up Almost Home originally posted here on this blog. I painted it on an icy twilight looking at the view from my studio window. As I worked, I thought of the comfort and security that's bound up in our idea of home.
I nurture the hope that all those displaced by the tragedy that has engulfed Japan can in time find that comfort and security once more.
Almost Home is a 14x11 oil with a starting bid of $95.00. Visit and see all the entries.

9 comments:

  1. Boy, do I ever know this view!! Wonderful painting, Mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, it's your view! Thank you, darling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this - your colors are wonderful, and it evokes the exact feelings you've mentioned!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you, Regina. I enjoyed visiting your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is such a beautiful and warm painting. The first word that jumped into my mind when I saw it was "home", so that makes it the perfect painting for the cause. Thank you for being so generous.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much, Carol. I have found the fortitude and bravery of the Japanese people immensely impressive and moving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is beautiful, Shirley, and I love the way you painted the snow - which is a tough thing to do well, I think. The whole painting conveys the icy stillness that is a snowy evening. I love it!

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...