Wednesday, March 2, 2011

The Dreaded Artist Statement


A Place at the Table 24x12 oil by Shirley Fachilla

We like to think our work speaks for itself. However, artist statements can be quite important. Did Vermeer really mean for his Milkmaid to be seen as sexy, even promiscuous? And what the heck is the meaning of Botticelli's iconic and beautiful Birth of Venus? Neither Vermeer nor Botticelli explained so we'll never know for sure.
I had to write an artist statement for my painting A Place at the Table, because it was required for the Green Show, but I'm glad that it was because I truly needed to explain myself and it.
So here it is:
The plate, the pond,
The glass, the tree,
the field, the patch of sunlight beneath the chair...
these objects in my painting echo one another in shape and sometimes color. They are meant to draw a connection between our world and the world outside us. They are meant to suggest that we should make a place at our table, in our everyday environment, for the natural world that surrounds us. If we do, perhaps Nature and the world will keep a place at its table for us as well.
The Green Show, Artist Reception, March 6, 3-5 pm, Harpeth Hall, Marnie Sheridan Gallery, 3801 Hobbs Road, Nashville, Tennessee.
  

14 comments:

  1. I really like your highlights on the chairs and table.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley, thank you so much for dropping by my blog with a comment. Your work is lovely. Love the reflection in the chair in this one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bravo, Shirley. Great painting and great connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. well said! I went to a show the other day and I left not having a clue what the artist's statement meant. It was really DEEP and esoteric. It made me think that all I have to say is, "I love painting so I do it and I hope that we all enjoy the results!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh..this is a really beautiful painting too...I want to sit down and look out the window

    ReplyDelete
  6. You write as beautifully as you paint! I really think this is wonderfully done.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone. The room is the breakfast area of my house painted on the spot. The view, however, is a remembered one. I think the combination produced a sort of storybook quality.
    And yes, Christine, often I paint for love of the process, too. No explanation needed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Shirley, I love this painting and the artists' statement with it! Very nice...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, Rosa. This is one of those paintings where I show how I think and feel. So it's really reassuring to get positive feedback.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your work is so superb as is your story on the painting.. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and seeing your work.
    Your studio/gallery is out of this world. You must be so excited. maybe you are already moved in.
    Thank you for visiting my blog. I will follow and come back to see your work again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love the painting. I just wrote my artist's statement, and I hate it. It sounds pretty good, but I don't even know if it's true.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Dors, thank you. I'm moving in gradually. I keep stopping to paint!
    Karen, that's the thing. The paintings will always be truer than any artist's statement.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love the thoughtfulness of your statement and painting. Beautiful. Nice to "meet you" Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely. Really. Your use of light in your paintings is just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...