Monday, April 11, 2011

Women in Hats with Flowers


Day Dreaming Gardner, a 24x20 oil by Shirley Fachilla.

Sometimes they masquerade as goddesses. Rembrandt painted his wife as the goddess Flora in hat with flowers.

Then sometimes queens pretend to be commoners complete with chapeaus and posies. Louise Vignee Le Brun’s portrait of Marie Antoinette shows her hatted with blossoms decked out as Marie’s idea of a shepherdess.
Women in hats with flowers are definitely favorite painting subjects and have been, I’m convinced, since ancient times (though I looked and couldn’t find a Pharaoh’s queen crowned and with lotus blossoms on the web).
The tradition continues with contemporary painter Dan McCaw’s wonderful women who glow from within, surrounded by light and flowers and of course, shaded by big brimmed hats.
All the lovely ladies seem to be gently telling us to gather our rosebuds while we may, for time it is a’ fleeing.

Day Dreaming Gardener is my woman in hat with flowers. She’s an open studio painting done ala prima measuring 24x20.

4 comments:

  1. I love the shady brimmed hat! Nice touch to the painting :)

    I think a painting with children flying kites would be gorgeous. You should definitely try it sometime. I would love to see the end result.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Michelle. If I do a kite painting, I'll be thinking of your children running in the wind and flying beautiful, handmade kites!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the softness of this painting, well done.

    ReplyDelete
  4. time is fleeing, that is for sure :) this was interesting to read!
    p.s. thank you for your sweet comment on my photo blog :)

    ReplyDelete

Is it too early to send an invitation?

Pieces by (clockwise from left to right) : Susan Harlan, Janet Garner, Shirley Fachilla, Mike Martino and Topper Williams. So many ...