Friday, May 6, 2011

A Form of Tribute


Vroom, Vroom Building, a 6x8 oil by Shirley Fachilla

The building has fallen on hard times. Mostly empty and very neglected, it sits on Charlotte Avenue in Nashville, Tennessee and seems to watch traffic vrooming by. But once it was on the cutting edge of design. When it was modern and new, my father spent some hours there. It was probably boring meeting time for he was a district civil engineer for the State Highway Department, and this building was its headquarters.
Now it’s on the list of Historic Nashville’s most endangered historic buildings. I painted it for the organization’s fundraiser, but I also painted it because of my dad, because he loved his job of building roads and bridges. I guess you could call it a tribute to him. Robert Genn did a newsletter about painting as a form of tribute. You might find it interesting whether you make paintings or appreciate them… or perhaps do a bit of both.

6 comments:

  1. Really nice color and I like how you painted the car.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Douglas. I had a second car, a Mercedes, but the design seemed better without it so it got wiped.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great lighting and atmosphere Shirley. Looking forward to more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Giselle. Your self-portrait is wonderful. Love the reflections in the sunglasses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I lived in Nashville in the 70's. LOVED it and still have some fantastic friends there.

    This is really nice and as you said a tribute to your father, which I think is just wonderful.

    I continue to enjoy your blog and your paintings. It is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wish I had known you "when," Linda!

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...