Monday, June 20, 2011

Stop to Smell the Roses


Stop to Smell the Roses is a 6x8 oil by Shirley Fachilla.

I’ve been painting soldiers and cemeteries and needed a change of both mood and subject. Let me introduce you to Desi, one of our two cats. Desi is a tuxedo who looks a lot like Dreama Perry’s famous Eddie. But where Eddie has a rugged handsomeness (at least according to said Eddie), our Desi is a goofy beauty with Cleopatra eyes, pink nose and white rimmed ears. The ears and eyes are both larger than the usual cat size.


In my painting, it looks as if he’s smelling the roses. And Desi does seem to love flowers but… sadly, it’s because he likes to eat them.

I’ve included a link to Dreama’s Eddie paintings; you might also visit her blog so you can read as well as look. The adventures of Eddie are addictive.

13 comments:

  1. C'est vraiment étrange! Ma minette aussi aime manger les boutons de fleurs...
    Très jolie peinture avec une harmonie de couleurs superbe.
    Beaucoup de délicatesse dans votre touche et une belle atmosphère... Je peux faire presque comme votre minou, humer vos fleurs.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kitty! I love it. Well handled!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is wonderful. The colors and brushwork are amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, I LOVE this one. Subject, composition, colors. So sweet. I'm jealous of your time to paint. I guess I shouldn't complain since I paint all-day every day in NY in the winter, but life just seems to conspire to keep me away from it these days. Summer in VT, house renovation, coming home from 2 weeks of travel and a winter away in NY. Aaahh, but it will come. Thanks for continuing to inspire with your wonderful work, and your delightful writing. Happy Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  5. so soft, so beautiful so full of feeling!

    ReplyDelete
  6. the love and personal connection you have with this subject really shows in this painting...it is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this. The turquoise and red together are amazing. It looks so sweet and gentle.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you everyone.
    Martine, perhaps our pets think flowers are so beautiful that they must taste great as well!
    Christine, you have it. I do so love this cat.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love seeing our Desi from your eyes. Beautiful painting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Such a sweet composition. A moment in the life of a cat captured. Everything about it is beautiful, brushwork, color, composition, everything!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Awww! so adorable and cute! Fantastic painting!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Very sweet painting. Thanks for your recent comment. I'm enjoying visiting your blog. Your paintings have a softness to them in color and light that is so pleasing. I'll visit again. I hope you enjoy your trip to Maine. Just know ME is usually chilly at night if not during the day also!

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...