Monday, July 18, 2011

It's Not Easy "Painting" Green!


Alone in Her Garden is a plein air 8x8 oil by Shirley Fachilla.

Kermit, the Frog, knows being green is hard; I know that painting green in a Tennessee summer isn’t easy either!
There is simply so much of it. Keeping it straight in value (see this post for a painter's definition of value) and hue so that you don’t end with a blanket of indeterminate greenery is difficult. It makes me envy plein air painters with beaches, oceans, deserts and/or mountains at their disposal. Of course, there are strategies around the greenery, some more straightforward than others.
The method employed here is one of the more direct. I found some things outside to paint that weren’t green. My focal point is a little statue who serves as a fountain. Her garden was deserted; her water source unavailable. But her surrounds were warm orange soil, backlit shrubbery, and, what, I think, were blooming wisteria vines. She seemed so exuberant in her aloneness and so very non-green I simply had to paint her.

6 comments:

  1. I love the title and what a great painting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gorgeous painting. My eyes are drawn to the satue. She is almost glowing amongst the green.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you whole-heartedly about green. You really chose a wonderful subject, and she is the standout among all those background greens. A delightful post to see and read!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you all. She seemed so delighted with herself and her situation that I couldn't help but paint her!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't purple the new green anyway???

    Lovely painting with an energetic statue. You bring her to life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirley, you have done such a brillian job with the greens; I love your color layering and your little statue looks like she's at the center of the opera! Thanks for lovely post.

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...