Monday, August 15, 2011

Artful Definitions


A Thoughtful Man is a 24x20 open studio oil. We’ll assume that’s a dictionary on his lap!


I’ve made a new page of art definitions. There’s a link here and another tabbed link directly under the blog header (title to those more bookish).
I added the page for a couple of reasons, both more selfish than altruistic. First, I wanted the option of not defining art terms that I use in a post in the post itself. Second, I didn’t want to assume everyone understood every word as I personally might define it. I do try to stick to universally accepted definitions, but I’ve discovered even the experts sometimes disagree.
In the list, I’ve left out all the isms (impressionism, realism, abstract expressionism… you get the idea). I may add them later. I hope to add as I post. The definitions I’ve begun with are those I’ve used already or think I’ll be sure to use soon.
The definition style is haphazard and informal though the words are, at least, in alphabetical order. Sometimes, I use a sentence as the definition, sometimes a phrase, sometimes an example. Merriam-Webster, I’m not!
I also discovered that some words had to be researched for me to begin to define them. This leads me to think some definitions may be useful or thought-provoking for the painter as well as the non painter. I certainly hope so.



1 comment:

  1. Excellent work. Now I will continue to look at the rest of your blog, you are very talented.

    ReplyDelete