Sunday, September 25, 2011

Just Imagine...


The Last Time I Saw Paris is a 24x20 open studio oil by Shirley Fachilla.

Was this very dapper gentleman really gazing up at the Eiffel Tower on an early spring day? No, in fact, he was sitting in my Monday open studio studying a spot on the wall and wearing his boater at a rakish tilt. I added the Eiffel Tower after I got home using a bad photo I took in Paris.
The thing I most love to paint is the figure (or figures) in a place. Sometimes I paint the figure in the actual setting in which I find them and sometimes it’s a setting that I’ve imagined. The difficulty with imagined places (or added places) is linking those bits to the person. Often they just don’t make a seamless whole. My bon vivant worked better than most. Of course, that’s why I’m showing it to you rather than one of my many other attempts!
My last post was all about finding the “good” painting within rather than looking to your subject to provide it. I think there are many avenues to that result. And sometimes that path goes through one’s imagination.

7 comments:

  1. Well, you could have fooled me! You did a great job with aerial perspective. You have used your imagination to great advantage. Love it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this painting! It brought a smile to my face as soon as I saw it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. shirley, this is just incredible! i love the composition and the narrative accompanying it! wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. La petite histoire qui accompagne cette bien belle oeuvre me fait sourire...
    la petite tache qu'observait votre monsieur s'est transformée en tour Eiffel !
    L'idée est très bonne. En plus je trouve que votre personnage est aussi fier que notre dame de fer!
    Très belle peinture.
    Gros bisous et merci pour votre gentil commentaire.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You have some illustrator in you and that a good thing. Suzanne Berry is correct.

    ReplyDelete
  6. So excellent pictures, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...