Monday, October 24, 2011

Do You See What I See?


Sunlit Sycamore is a plein air oil by Shirley Fachilla that turned into an abstract.

I have several artist friends who are abstract painters. One, Barbara Stokes, does beautiful big “abstracted” landscapes. All, including Barbara, start with a mark; they begin with a stroke or patch of color and work from there. They do not try to paint an abstract of a chair, or a tree or any recognizable form.
Sometimes my friends end with a completely abstract work; sometimes they recognize as they paint the suggestion of a landscape or a figure. When that happens, they work toward that vision.
I have tried to paint using their method and failed miserably. I end up just playing around with no purpose.
I must start with the concrete (that chair or tree!) and dissect what I see. I try to break it down into its parts, lose the non-essential, find the underlying design and extract just what made me want to paint it. Hopefully if I have some success, the viewer of my painting will, indeed, see what I see.

12 comments:

  1. I see what you see. It's beautiful. I like you in this style. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I see what you see, and it is fabulous Shirley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm with you. I find it difficult to "make things up" when I paint.I find I have to have a reference of some kind to start with.....and then take it from there. This is a lovely painting and I love the direction you took it in.....it is still very descriptive of the time and place. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful shapes, colors and feel. Nicely abstracted.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Shirley..This painting is beautiful..love the handling and that you stopped at just the right time...I also love the text about abstract art..that is what interests me presently...don't know how but want to go there

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this one Shirley! I have been wanting to move to more abstraction too...

    ReplyDelete
  7. A very beautiful painting. I love the expressiveness and loose brushwork.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I had to comment on this...I was recently dealing with the same issue (cannot create an abstract painting out of thin air), and like you, I need a concrete starting point. This painting captures the essence of what I'm trying to go in an abstract painting style, so I really appreciate your post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. The edges in this are beautiful, I like this direction - (but I also like your figure work very much too.)

    ReplyDelete