Thursday, November 10, 2011

The Violinist on Mohegan Island

Detail from Island Music a 24x12 oil by Shirley Fachilla.

In August, my friends and I traveled from Tennessee to Maine and then to Mohegan Island.
Our arrival on the island was confused. We had traveled by boat for more than an hour to arrive at a very noisy, crowded dock. Possibly every vehicle allowed on the island was there, to pick up supplies or drop off things for the boat’s return trip.
We made our way from the dock and clambered up the steep road to the village, backpacks stuffed with our heavy supplies. On that road, we left the noise behind and found instead sweet music and a sweeping view. When I think of the island, I think of the violinist on her hillside with her notes flying across the waves.
Mohegan is a special place.

Jean McGuire’s Entry for the Best and Brightest Show


Time for a Break is a 20x16 oil done by Jean McGuire.

Above is an image of Jean McGuire’s painting destined for the Scottsdale Artists School exhibit. I remember when she did it in Open Studio.

And since my last post, I’ve learned that Abigail Gutting, artist daughter of my blogging artist friend Susan Gutting, will also have a painting in the show.

4 comments:

  1. Both of these are nice paintings! MY niece is a violinist so I especially loved that subject.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like you'll be in great friendly company! So happy to hear you loved our Monhegan. (Maine artists all feel it's "their" Monhegan...Not ours as a collective. Each thinks it belongs solely to them. lol What can you expect? We're artist and perhaps all a bit delusional, but we stay happy!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Shirley,
    Thanks for your wonderful comments on my blog. I really appreciate your taking the time to write.
    I love your work. I really enjoy The Violinist On Mohegan Island. Love your colors and your wonderful sense of light! The muted effect you achieve is extremely pleasing to the eye! ( I have been to Mohegan Island a few times and the painting brought back wonderful memories.) I am glad you are painting and sharing your work. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete