Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Remembrance of Things Past...



Study: Heading Out  is a 6x6 oil by Shirley Fachilla.
As mentioned before in Sometimes a Painting, when I was in Maine, I very much wanted to paint the ocean. Though I did have my chances, the little painting above doesn’t reflect one of them. It’s the afternoon view of Mohegan harbor as we waited to board the ferry back to the mainland.
There was no time to paint, barely time to snap a couple of photos that I knew would have no resemblance to the shimmering scene before me.
So I took photos to remind me, and I tried very hard to impress on my mind the colors and light I saw. The above painting is the result. Actually it’s the initial result. I’m attempting to paint it again much larger with the help of the color harmonies I worked out in it and prolonged looking at images of William Ritschel’s seascapes. The photos I took mostly help with the shape of lobster boats!
Just for your information, the Ritschel  link does not do justice to his amazing use of color. It’s often saturated, usually unexpected and somehow always totally right. I just wish there were more and better images of his work available on the web.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. It's got a Kevin McPherson feel to it. The water sparkles wonderfully. Awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. L'eau est telle un miroir... Il n'est pas simple de projeter ce rendu... Vous l'avez magnifiquement bien réussi.
    Gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the sparkling water and the softness to the scene. Gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...