Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Painting within the Painting

Bracquemond Revisited is a 30x24 oil by Shirley Fachilla.
The painting within my painting above is a Marie Bracquemond. Marie was that rarity, a successful woman artist prior to the 20th century. She was a convert to Impressionism and therein lay her problem.
Her husband, also a noted artist, disliked both the Impressionists and his wife’s work which he sometimes ignored or, in the alternative, belittled. Plagued by ill health (and obviously, her husband!), Marie simply gave up painting.
There are few Bracquemonds and those are mostly in private hands. I’ve only seen two and found them both extraordinary. The one I painted is a portrait of Marie, her husband and her sister. It’s a beautiful interplay of light plus a psychological study of complex relationships.
Bracquemond Revisited is one of several paintings in which I included a painting of the past in the background of an open studio piece. I plan to show you more of them.     

5 comments:

  1. Lovely painting and beautiful story to go with it. And I agree, she really was plagued by her husband as well. Thanks for visiting, so I could discover your beautiful blog. I'm going to enjoy browsing through at my leisure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful, Shirley! Love how you worked the Bracquemond painting into the background. Beautiful concept and composition! Thanks for sharing Marie's beautiful painting, as well as your own.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley, I love this series of paintings, especially this one. You have made this bit of art history so interesting. I cannot wait to study up on Ms Bracquemond. Love, love the pose!

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...