Tuesday, March 13, 2012



At the Edge of the World is an 18x30 oil by Shirley Fachilla.

This is a big painting done from the small plein air I posted here. I wasn’t going to try for a larger work from my small seascape. I was chicken; I knew how hard I tried to capture that ever-changing tide!
Then I was looking through my digital photos and found one of the same scene but with a person in it. That figure made me remember how vast it was and how small it made me feel.  Small, in both a liberating way (think Leonardo and Kate at the prow of the Titanic) and in a daunting way (think Columbus looking for India).
So I painted it again with a very small person and a very big ocean. This work along with its little study will be in our August in Maine show. The reception is Saturday, April 7 from 6 to 9 at the Tennessee Art League, 808 Broadway in Nashville. My friends and I would love to see you there.
And yes, I have two shows very close together (see my last post) and yes, I’m getting a little anxious!

10 comments:

  1. Amazing how this little figure makes a difference! I love the colors! Good luck with the two shows!

    ReplyDelete
  2. On peut sentir l'immensité du lieu et de l'océan... le mouvement est magnifique et la palette de couleurs si nuancée... Une très jolie peinture.
    Je vous souhaite tout plein de bonne choses pour cette exposition à venir...
    Gros bisous à vous et Merci pour votre si gentil commentaire.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley!
    Now that is what I am talking about! Magnificent! Bravo!
    Thanks for posting your wonderful art for all to enjoy.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this one Shirley. The person really does create the majesty of the ocean. Good luck with your show! Thanks for you kind comments.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, you can just feel the pounding surf and hear the whoosh of the waves hitting the rocks. Looking at the figure and it's size just makes it all the more daunting. Beautiful colors, too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! So smooth and beautifully painted. I want to go there!
    Happy Painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wonderful rough sea scape, the little person does a LOT to this painting! Truly beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Simply wonderful! Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This came out great--you should do more BIG ones. The small figure definitely gives a sense of scale. I love the soft palette you used on this too.

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...