Monday, March 5, 2012

Stretched to the Limit...



Human Geometry is a 20x20 oil done by Shirley Fachilla in open studio. 
Though I’ve been painting for about eight years, I never stretched a canvas until last week. 
[Unclear about the definition of stretching? see Artful Definitions.
I didn’t even want to try it. I lacked the tools and the knowledge. I told myself I didn’t have the time or the strength.  And I knew I wouldn’t enjoy it.
Yes, I do need some additional tools. And if I painted as regularly as I should, I might not have the time.  (I do sometimes procrastinate!)
But my friend Jean McGuire gave me the knowledge and made it as painless as possible. In fact, she almost made it fun.
Though I surely won’t stretch all my canvases, it’s very good to know how. I feel much more professional and competent.
I decided to stretch my limits (so to speak) because many of my framed paintings were committed and I needed a slew of ready-to-hangs for Art at the Artesia on March 29.  Human Geometry, stretched by moi, will be one. I would love to have you join me and the other artists at the Artesia. To see more about it, click here

6 comments:

  1. I'd love to be there to enjoy this lovely piece in person! Unfortunately I do not live near. I want to say how much I enjoy your paintings of women seated with famous paintings in the background, and commentary explaining not well known information about each of the women artists. It's a beautiful celebration of women and their talents and a great pleasure to see and read. Congrats on these wonderful blog entries!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! This one jumped right out at me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely painting Shirley, and with such a difficult pose.
    Good for you for stretching your own canvas. There is a really good feeling about having the work be yours, start to finish!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, There is so much I love about your work. Words don't come easy. Your paintings speak wonders. On this one I love the dress! Very exciting but peaceful a the same time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love this painting Shirley. It takes you in for a closer look. Good luck stretching canvas. I never can get it tight enough.

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...