Wednesday, May 2, 2012

"Almost Cheesecake"



Almost Cheesecake is a 24x22 open studio oil by Shirley Fachilla.

Almost Cheesecake was painted in a bit less than four hours in my Monday Open Studio. (I finished up the background after I got home.)
While I was painting it, I was working out several important things. 
1. composition: I had to alter the dimensions of my canvas to accommodate the design I thought best.
2. values: I wanted the form and shape of her all-white dress to read properly but also to retain color and life.
3. negative space: I had set up the composition to make the negative space a crucial element and I needed to fill it nicely.  
Only after it was done, did I realize her pose was a classic for beauty contestants modeling their one-piece bathing suits in the 50’s... thus the title, Almost Cheesecake.
For the rest of this month and until June 22, Almost will be on view in the national juried art show held in Nashville every year, the Central South Art Exhibition at the Tennessee Art League, 808 Broadway. Hope you can come and take a look.
[For a definition of value, composition and negative space, visit Artful Definitions.

8 comments:

  1. Des lignes qui vont à l'essentiel... Une pose fluide et pleine de douceur...
    Votre choix de couleurs est très bien nuancé. J'aime la lumière qui vient caresser timidement mais certaine votre personnage.
    Très joli travail.
    gros bisous

    ReplyDelete
  2. yes! just essential ...i love soft colors and light . good composition! congratulations of a french painter with a poor english

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautifully done, Shirley. Her pose seems contemplative and peaceful, and the colors enhance that feeling. Beautiful values on her dress enhanced by the warmth of her hair. Lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is a beautiful pose and painting! I love the whites!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Shirley, this is beautiful! Love the color of the green background with her hair. Also, love all the colors in your whites. I love white objects! I am painting a white dog right now and having a blast. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. hey Shirley, beautiful painting! Great meeting you at the WPSE show!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love this painting.
    Very attractive, nice composition and beautiful colors.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your painting is wonderful. You have captured the edges and the shadows so well. It also glows and feels alive.

    ReplyDelete