Thursday, July 5, 2012

No Land in Sight


 Early Morning Sea Foam is a 10x8 plein air by Shirley Fachilla.
I’ve been researching seascapes for more than a year, ever since I knew I would be going to Maine to paint. Being from landlocked Tennessee, I needed to see how other painters had approached painting the ocean.
It’s a year later, I’m long back from Maine; but I’m still finding wonderful marine artists.
I’ve already blogged about the seascapes of Californian William Ritschel. This spring, I was in total awe of contemporary Ray Roberts and his seascape that took the grand prize at the California Art Club. And now I’ve discovered the stunning work of John Fredrick Kensett.
Kensett was a part of the second generation of Hudson River Valley artists. He was a Luminist like another favorite of mine, Sanford Gifford.  But while Gifford concentrated upon the mountains, Kensett painted the ocean. He painted it lyrically, poetically. In the last year of his life, he often painted it as sea, sky and light and nothing more… for nothing more was needed.   
My painting above is a plein air done in the rather early morning in Maine. After I saw some Kensett’s, and learned some watery lessons from them, I redid Sea Foam, so it, too, could try to be all about the sky, the sea and the light.  

3 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Shirley, in its simplicity. So peaceful and complete.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley,
    I just returned from a cruise to Nova Scotia, Canada and while on board I constantly watched the ocean with its always ever changing motion, shapes, and colors! Bravo to you! You did a wonderful job not only capturing the appearance of the ocean but its essence as well.
    If I had to choose a favorite thing to paint it would be the ocean. I love, love, love the ocean. (My blog has some older posts of my ocean works. Please feel free to check them out. I tend to do very wild ocean scenes with much movement)
    I am eager to see more of your ocean paintings from Maine. Have fun.
    Take care.
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shirley, This is a lovely painting. Water and Sky painting has made for a soothing vignette.

    ReplyDelete

Is it too early to send an invitation?

Pieces by (clockwise from left to right) : Susan Harlan, Janet Garner, Shirley Fachilla, Mike Martino and Topper Williams. So many ...