Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Women In Hats with Flowers Revisited...



Behind the Flowers is a 24x12 oil done in open studio by Shirley Fachilla.
[For my other woman in a hat with flowers, please visit this post.]
I found this particular hatted female quite appealing to paint because I loved the monochrome nature of her. Her dress, flowers, table, her very skin were all variations of one warm neutral color.
Going with one predominate hue in a work (a monochrome) is one way to set a mood in a painting. (In prior post, I wrote about setting a mood by using high key-values.)
The moody James MacNeill Whistler often painted using variations of one color. He did rich nocturnes, awash in mystery and deep, cool blues or purples. He did painting after painting of women wearing white and surrounded by white backgrounds, very ethereal, very pristine.
Cecilia Beau used monochrome as well. She did it because it not only set a mood; it also made those beautiful portrait faces of hers stand out. Her gorgeously painted heads would be the warmest, highest chroma spots in an expanse of gray or even lavender.
Now after writing all this about mood and monochrome, I really can’t say what mood is set by my painting. Perhaps I could say mysterious… just what is she watching so intently from behind those flowers?

9 comments:

  1. Love just the tiny bits of strong light.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley,
    I love the colors, the mood of this painting, and so much more,
    Just enough of everything to make it a great work of art.
    Bravo!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love those little high lights...lovely painting.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shirley, this is truly wonderful. The warm colors look beautiful againt the cool background. Your soft edges make her even more mysterious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely painting, Shirley. I learn so much every time I visit your blog. Thanks for taking the time to share, plus the links are wonderful. It was like a visit to a museum. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Shirley, Your figures are just gorgeous. This one is a favorite for sure. I would like to add your blog to my blog link list.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You nailed it with this--the pose, the limited palette--mystery! It's great.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Funny - I felt sure I had already left a comment on this beautiful painting.
    I appreciate all the work you put into your posts. I enjoy them very much

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous Shirley! Of course, the painting......all your works are masterpieces. But, also, your informative prose. Your blog always gives me so much to think about. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Is it too early to send an invitation?

Pieces by (clockwise from left to right) : Susan Harlan, Janet Garner, Shirley Fachilla, Mike Martino and Topper Williams. So many ...