Tuesday, September 11, 2012

"Good Morning, North Shore!"



Good Morning, North Shore! is an 8x10 oil on linen done in plein air by Shirley Fachilla.

As you may know from reading this blog, I’m a big advocate of painting in your own backyard, i.e. in your own home territory. This is because to me, the familiar, the ordinary hold a great potential for both beauty and meaning. You simply don’t need to wander too far afield to find the marvelous; it’s waiting for you just around the corner. With that said, today’s painting is not in my backyard… it’s in my friends’ backyard up in Cook County, Minnesota.
Cook County is this beautiful place that bumps up to the Canadian border, skirts the north shore of Lake Superior and contains a chunk of the huge Boundary Waters Wilderness Area. 
And my friends own a little piece of it! Lucky friends! Lucky us,we got to visit... and it was somebody's backyard! 

4 comments:

  1. lovely painting...gorgeous colors...what is that lovely yellow? I went kayaking for 5 hours today to celebrate and your painting looks like the lake I was on!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice brushwork in this painting Shirley. I particularly like how you softened the edges where the trees meet the sky, it gives them a transparent feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your backyard is beautiful. I love the water in this painting.

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...