Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Reluctant Tonalist...



Pearly Gray Morning is an 8x10 oil by Shirley Fachilla.

Reluctant is probably not the best adjective here. I’m really not reluctant at all; I like tonalism. Two of my favorite painters, George Inness and James McNeill Whistler, were in the main tonalists. 
It’s simply not my natural way to paint. My instinctive painting style tends to run the value gamut so it’s rather dramatic and to push color so its hues are not subdued.
But I also like to try things out, especially if I admire them; and I love the harmony, poetic feeling and atmospherics that tonalism can create.
My attempt at the tonal, Pearly Gray Morning, is a part of the Love the Lake show now on view from Friday, October 5, to Monday, October 8, at the Radnor Lake Nature Center, 116 Otter Creek Road, Nashville, Tennessee. Drop by the park and see the show. A big chunk of the proceeds benefits Radnor Lake.
[For definitions of value and tonalism, please visit the Artful Definitions page.]  

3 comments:

  1. this is so timely for me....I have been thinking I need to venture into the tonalism realm...you are an inspiration! It is a challenge for me not push it to the saturation edge, but I love your colors and the softness of your work....like a slightly overcast day instead of the harshness of sunshine.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Une jolie peinture aux douces couleurs...
    J'aime votre avis en ce qui concerne cette toile...
    gros bisous à vous

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautifully done shirley. and thanks for the definition of tonal. i know so little about what i do. this link is just what i've been looking for.

    and thank you too for you kind words left on my blog. a day at a time right? i really appreciate your thoughts. take care.

    ReplyDelete

Feeling Important...

Queen Anne's Lace (detail) That’s how I’m feeling because NOAPS (National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society) interviewed me...