Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Blue Ballerina



Blue Ballerina is a 24x15 oil done from life by Shirley Fachilla.

Ballerinas, like women in hats and people under umbrellas, are subjects that painters love. Why you might ask? Believe it or not, I’ve actually thought about this question and even written about it in the two links above!
There is, of course, the obvious: ballerinas are usually beautiful and elegant in form, women in hats are often romantic and sometimes mysterious, and those umbrellas? Well, they can be colorful as well as great sources of reflected light in marvelous and unexpected hues.
But I think the main reason painters love umbrellas, hats and ballerinas are the shapes. At least, for me, their shapes are what I love. Those curves and swoops, oh my, such fun to paint. And with ballerinas, you not only have a beautiful human form in a leotard, you also have tutus and tulle!
[My painting is an unusual size because it literally grew as I painted it. However, I do not recommend painting in unusual sizes because it makes framing more difficult and expensive.]      

4 comments:

  1. This is beautiful, Shirley!!! LOVE IT!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shirley!
    I so very much enjoy visiting your wonderful blog!
    You combine great skill and creativity to your art!
    I love your ballerina for so many, many reasons! The pose, your tremendous use of color and the mood of the figure all make this a joy to enjoy over and over again!
    Bravo!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  3. simply beautiful! i love the palette as well, just wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your ballerina is so beautiful. Very nice!

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...