Monday, June 3, 2013

It's All about One's Mood...


Nothing to Cheer About is an 18x14 oil done from life by Shirley Fachilla.

The guy looks glum… the guy looks bored… the guy looks as though his team is losing.

Today, in my open studio, there were seven painters; all were painting the same subject, a guy with a beer wearing the sports paraphernalia of a fan. But only mine looked unhappy.
One rendition seemed iconic, another mysterious, yet another showed a happy fellow with bad posture. Only mine looked so sad.

A friend of mine once said that a painted portrait is as much a portrait of its artist as it is of its subject. I understand this to mean that the artist’s emotions, opinions and thoughts are on display in a portrait just as they are in any painting.  Obviously my mood today was not upbeat. I do notice, however, that my painted beer seems deliciously appealing!

9 comments:

  1. Bonjour ma chère Shirley,

    J'aime les émotions qui transpirent dans cette peinture. Il est toujours très curieux de voir qu'avec une écriture différente on peut traduire sa propre interprétation.
    J'aime beaucoup cette peinture. Votre touche et l'harmonie des couleurs me plaisent beaucoup.
    Gros bisous à vous.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well done, Shirley. To me he doesn't seem sad so much as pensive, deep in thought. Excellent use of space!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for your comment on my post, Shirley! Leaving my response here also: Lemon pizza is amazing! We made another this weekend and it's all gone. I've even started to freeze my brushes instead of washing them so often... think it's better for them and my hands. I love the way I don't waste a speck of paint anymore by freezing it. Even mix leftovers into neutrals and save. Plastic wrap rules.
    And really think your painting is terrific! Love the composition of this pose and the painterly technique.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't think he looks glum at all. Perhaps his posture makes him look bored. He is not on the edge of his seat watching a game, I think he is more interested in his beer, and you captured that. Ha ha.
    Doug

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe you sensed his sadness at having to hold the beer without taking a drink. Beautiful painting, Shirley.

    ReplyDelete
  6. very interesting reflection on your painting....I have been asking myself what the universe is trying to tell me...one calamity after another this week and painting has taken a sideline...maybe I need to paint to find out what is really going on!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree about your observation that a portrait contains so much of the spirit of the artist. Yours has that critical emotional component. And your brushwork is loose and lovely. Good luck with your shows!

    ReplyDelete
  8. this is a joyful painting of a sad guy! i love the emotion it evokes. you can just tell that his team either lost or it's another sat. night without a date. i think it's perfect and i love the emotion!

    ReplyDelete

Is it too early to send an invitation?

Pieces by (clockwise from left to right) : Susan Harlan, Janet Garner, Shirley Fachilla, Mike Martino and Topper Williams. So many ...