Tuesday, September 3, 2013

If at first you don't succeed...




Little Girl Dreams is a 20x10 oil done from life by Shirley Fachilla.

If at first you don’t succeed, try, try again.
I don’t know if this is from The Little Engine that Could, a quote from my mama or simply one of those truisms that everyone subscribes to. Wherever it came from, my painting Little Girl Dreams proves its wisdom.
I painted Little Girl Dreams in one of my open studios. I liked her enough to submit her to last year’s American Impressionists annual juried show. She wasn’t accepted.
Normally this wouldn’t bother me too much (as an artist, it’s rather essential to develop a thick skin); but I really did like the painting and more over, if I had to describe my art in terms of one of the “isms,” it would be impressionism. I was quite disappointed.
I decided to try again. I submitted Little Girl Dreams to The Best and Brightest annual exhibit held by the Scottsdale Artists School. Little Girl was not only accepted; she won an Honorable Mention. I was delighted.
But her story doesn’t end there. She was one of my submissions this year to the Best of America exhibit, the NOAPS national juried show. And she was chosen to be a part of that exhibit!

Little Girl now has a couple of happy endings, and I think lessons for everyone. First, believe in what you do; and second, keep on trying.

6 comments:

  1. This is beautifully painted Shirley!! and SO glad you re-submitted this painting...this is definitely a winner!!!! Congratulations..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations ... a beautiful painting. And at gut level you knew it !
    Try, try again indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a wonderful painting. I love the composition. You're an inspiration. Keep up the good work. Congratulations on your successes.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Encouraging words and example, Shirley. Congratulations on your successes with regards to this beautiful painting! Well deserved.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I like your way of "less is more" art so much. You give the opportunity to come up with the hero's face, character, life. I like this adventure very much.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic painting and really well written post (as they ALL are!)

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...