Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Georgia on My Mind


Wedding Rose No. 1 is a 6x6" oil done from life by Shirley Fachilla
Georgia O’Keeffe said she painted individual flowers in extra, extra large sizes so viewers would really look and see the beauty of the flower.
I’m sure that was at least part of her reason. But I also think she painted super big flower portraits because she loved to demonstrate the abstract design created by those petals.

My flower is hardly supersized; it’s definitely a mini. But by making my painting an extreme close-up, my rose becomes an exercise in abstraction as well.  

4 comments:

  1. Gorgeous shapes and colors, Shirley! Love how it fills the space.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the color on this rose and the softness in this piece, Shirley.
    I find flowers very difficult to paint but you did an incredible job!!
    Wonderful work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. beautiful idea! regarding the Arches Huile paper: I loved painting on it. I had attended a seminar where it was introduced. I think it is totally non-absorbent due to the quality of construction. I think you would be pleased with it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! this is on fire!! GORGEOUS!!!

    ReplyDelete