Monday, May 5, 2014

"All Her Worldly Possessions"


All Her Worldly Possessions is an 18x14 oil on linen done from life by Shirley Fachilla.

I am very happy to report that All Her Worldly Possessions picked up an Award of Merit in the NOAPS International Online Exhibit for the spring of 2014.
The exhibit features 150 paintings with work from Russia, Canada, Japan, British Columbia (I have not listed all the countries) in addition to, of course, the U.S. And though this will sound even more braggy and boasty than I’ve already managed, the figurative work included in the show is, in my opinion, particularly outstanding. I am honored to be with so many wonderful artists.
I am also delighted that my painting was done completely from life because that’s the kind of painting I enjoy most.  I need the push of a deadline (the pose only lasts for a few hours) and find that painting from direct observation can (if I’m lucky) give my work a freshness and immediacy that I can achieve in no other way.  

A word about show judge, Cheng Lian: he is a National Oil and Acrylic Painters Society Master who does a lot of portrait and figurative subjects. He was both the judge of selection and of awards which makes it very much his show. Often these two functions are performed by different persons. Organizations tend to look for a big name to choose the award winners while leaving it to others to select the pieces for the show from all the submissions.  

3 comments:

  1. Bonjour chère amie,

    Je me réjouis d'apprendre une si belle nouvelle et bien méritée. Toutes mes sincères félicitations.
    Cette peinture qui a reçu ce bel honneur est non seulement bien travaillée mais elle a une âme... Vous avez su capturer celle-ci et ce dans un laps de temps court... Vous êtes allée à l'essentiel...
    L'harmonie des couleurs est grandiose.
    Encore BRAVO!

    Gros bisous ♡

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on getting the merit award...!!!!!!! SO well deserved.. this painting is absolutely beautiful..!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You should feel so proud of yourself! Your dedication to quality as well as always striving for the best is very apparent in this painting! I'm thrilled for you!

    ReplyDelete