Monday, June 23, 2014

How is a Max Like a Carolyn?

The last painting I did in the Max Ginsburg workshop on day five.

I made a surprising discovery during Max Ginburg’s workshop, he paints like Carolyn Anderson. If you’re familiar with the work of both, you will realize that I’ve just made a rather amazing statement. For though both are primarily figurative artists, their paintings look nothing alike.
Carolyn’s are sometimes close to abstraction; Max’s are sometimes so polished and finished they might be mistaken for reality.
Both say that they are always drawing as they paint. And both work in the same intuitive way with a bare minimum of any sort of measuring. Instead they rely on the angles and relationships between shapes to get proportions right. Both strive to capture the gesture and to do it without losing the accuracy of their drawing. (much easier said than done and so important when painting the figure.) They both correct throughout the painting process and are always adjusting and refining brushstroke by brushstroke. 

Their method allows for precision with fluidity, accuracy with freshness. 
It’s what I also strive to accomplish. I'm just so lucky to have found two such different, yet similar, masters to inspire me.     

4 comments:

  1. Excellent painting, Shirley. love the colors in her clothing...nice work.!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's wonderful you were able to attend workshops by these two giants of painting. How great is that?! I love the natural pose of your figure and her expression. So well rendered!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This painting is wonderful! I especially like your color transitions.
    I would adore to attend a workshop by either of them so I thank you for this perspective on their similarities.

    ReplyDelete
  4. And you inspire me!
    Another beautiful painting Shirley.
    So very, very nice!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete