Monday, August 4, 2014

Portraying the Human Spirit


Passage Through St. Lazare is a 24x20 oil by Shirley Fachilla.
I’m very proud to have work in the exhibit Portraying the Human Spirit at the Bennington Center for the Arts in Vermont. It’s a juried show of only 26 paintings which will be on display at the center from August 2 through December 21. I’ll quote the center on the theme of the show, “Our goal in jurying Portraying the Human Spirit was to find portraits that were more than portraits…”
Each artist was asked to do an audio for their work explaining process, inspiration, etc. For me, the audio may have been more difficult than the painting! However, I was delighted to have the opportunity to put into words what this painting meant to me. Finding those words? Definitely, a challenge.
A bit about the Bennington: This year, the venue hosted the national juried show of Oil Painters of America, and every year has an invitational wildlife art exhibit that is probably the very best east of the Mississippi, perhaps the very best nationally.
Again I’m so honored to have work at the Bennington in such a meaningful exhibit.

Here’s the link to the show.

5 comments:

  1. Congratulations Shirley, Love the brushwork in this piece.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow Shirley.... this is amazing, He looks REALLY good,,,realistic and yet that impressionist feel. Outstanding work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is a real favorite of mine, Shirley! It has strength, and I love the subdued colors against the brightness of the windows. Marvelous!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. So very well painted Shirley! Like all your art this one is fantastic! I love looking at it over and over again! Bravo buddy!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the way the different age groups are represented emphasizing the aging gentleman... who is still actively mobile with the aid of his cane. Wonderfully painted.
    Rather Brilliant, I would say!

    ReplyDelete