Monday, November 3, 2014

Taken for a Ride by Tim Horn


 So Ready to Party is an 10x8 oil done plein air by Shirley Fachilla.
I find California artist Tim Horn to be a very different sort of landscapist. His paintings have such a crisp contemporary edge. You would never mistake one of his pieces for a 19th century work; both style and subject (even when it’s a cowgirl on her horse) shout “now.”
So I was delighted when the Chestnut Group invited Tim to give a workshop this fall. I was even more delighted when the workshop began because I felt I spoke Tim’s language.  He said many things that I have been thinking but hadn’t put into words. And his emphasis on composition and color is where my art has been going (at least, I hope so!)

One of Tim’s favorite subjects, vintage cars, was not on my radar. But following his example, I decided to give it a try. I must admit I mostly wanted to paint this orangey red Jeep because of those fairy lights draping the building behind. But once I got started, the car showed me its personality (I saw it as basically a party animal) and it became the star of my piece.   

5 comments:

  1. Bonjour,

    J'aime beaucoup cette peinture... La toute première fois que j'ai peint une voiture dans une de mes peintures, je me suis surprise moi-même pensant que c'était un thème destiné aux garçons !... le plaisir fut grand.
    Je suppose que le vôtre aussi... J'aime beaucoup vos nuances de couleurs?

    Gros bisous ☂

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent painting, Shirley. I LOVE paintings of cars and even better when it's in front of an old barn....nice work!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. A great painting, Shirley! Lots of fun! It does look like a party animal, and you did an outstanding job. Tim Horn is an exceptional painter. His ability to simplify a scene is amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love this car Shirley! Love always seeing your wonderful style come through in all your beautiful work! Nice! Very, very nice!
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  5. beautifully done! and thank you for the link to Tom's work...outstanding and does put me in mind of your style...you do speak the same language. a very inspiring post. thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Strolling from Paris to the Salmagundi!

A Stroll Beside the Louvre by Shirley Fachilla This little trio should be arriving at The Salmagundi Club in NYC any day now. It’s ...